The Healing Power of Anointing Oil and Prayer
Anointing oil—also called blessing or consecrating oil—is an act that changes regular olive oil into a spiritual symbol and tool. The ancient practice of anointing with oil goes back to the Old Testament. The oil was poured over the heads of prophets, priests and kings. It also was used for anointing objects, such as the sacred and vessels found in the Tabernacle and Temple.
Why Do We Anoint with Oil?
The main reason we anoint with oil is to consecrate a person, place or thing to God. Anointing with oil also is part of the church’s ministry to the sick.
Whatever the reason for anointing with oil, it is important to understand that it is God working through you and your belief in Him. You are exercising faith in a loving and all-powerful God.
Laying Hands on the Sick
Throughout the scriptures one can find the practice of anointing with oil, specifically mentioned in the New Testament mentions it specifically when praying for the sick. In Mark 6:13 Yeshua sent his Twelve on a mission. They were to "anointed many sick people with oil and healed them". Anointing oils have also been used in a congregational situation. The usual procedure is for a sick congregant to summon the church elders to pray over him and anoint him with oil (James 5:14-16).
As exemplified in Luke 10:34, anointing oil was commonly used as a healing agent, “And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.” When the early Believers used the oil to anoint, it was as a reminder of God’s healing power. Today, like then, the healing takes place by the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 10:38), for whom oil is a powerful symbol (Zechariah 4:4-6).
Medicinal and Prayer for the Sick
Oil was applied to the sick as well as wounds. High quality anointing oil, ointments and perfumes made with pure ingredients had soothing and healing qualities thanks to the properties of the pure plant spirits used in them.
It is often asked my modern Believers if anointing people who are sick with oil as mentioned in James 5 still apply today. For most of the Believing work, the answer is yes. The oil symbolizes the Holy Spirit. We can never neglect to use the means God provides for us to care for ourselves, and to have the elders pray over you say before an operation is perfectly appropriate.
The core of the ritual is the prayer and the actual anointing goes with it. In giving the blessing, the sick person is traditionally anointed on the forehead and hands. A blessing such as: "Through this holy anointing may the Lord in his love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up" is given to give the individual peace that The Lord is with him.
Myrrh and frankincense are two of the most frequently used anointing oils in the Bible. Both are known for their healing power.
Myrrh Oil Benefits
Here are some of the many healing benefits of myrrh fragrance oils
· Potent antioxidant. According to a 2010 study in the Journal of Food and Chemical Toxicology, because of its high antioxidant capacity, myrrh can protect against liver damage. While this study was conducted on rabbits, there are potential uses in humans, too.
· Anti-cancer. Research found that myrrh oil can lower the production or reproduction of cancer cells in humans. It also found that it repressed growth in eight different types of cancer cells, specifically those that are gynecological. Although more research is needed, the initial results are promising.
· Anti-parasitic. Now there is a medication using myrrh to treat fascioliasis infections, a parasite that has been infecting people around the world. The parasite is usually transmitted by ingesting aquatic algae and other plants. The medicine reduces the symptoms of the infection and the parasite egg count found in the feces.
· Digestive problems. Myrrh fragrance oil helps relieve digestive issues, like an upset stomach, diarrhea and indigestion.
· Helps treat hypothyroidism or a low functioning thyroid. Because it aids in reducing stress, it can decrease the stress on an overworked thyroid. Two or three drops on the thyroid area every day will diminish the symptoms.
· Ulcers and wounds. Myrrh can increase the function of white blood cells, which are critical for healing wounds. It also can help reduce the occurrence of ulcers and improve their healing time.
· Emotional. In addition to its physical benefits, myrrh also yields emotional, mental and spiritual benefits. It affects our sense of maternal connection and healthy attachment, especially when it involves relating to trust, abandonment and traumatic issues.
Frankincense Oil Benefits
Some of the healing benefits of frankincense fragrance oils include:
· Reduces negative emotions. When inhaled, frankincense has been shown to lower a person’s heart rate and blood pressure. It possesses anti-anxiety and depression reducing abilities with no negative side effects or drowsiness.
· Boosts immune system and prevents illness. Studies have shown that frankincense’s immune enhancing abilities can aid in destroying dangerous bacteria, viruses, even cancer. It also can keep germs from forming on your skin, mouth and in your home and prevent gingivitis, bad breath, cavities, toothaches, mouth sores and other infections from occurring.
· Kills harmful germs and bacteria. As an antiseptic and disinfectant, frankincense fragrance oil can eliminate cold and flu germs from your home and body.
· Eases digestion.Frankincense helps your digestive system properly detox, produce bowel movements, reduce stomach pain and cramping, relieve nausea, rid your abdomen of extra water that can cause bloating and relieve PMS-related symptoms.
· Acts as a sleep aid. This essential oil lowers anxiety and chronic stress that can keep you up at night. It’s calming, grounding aroma will help you fall asleep. It opens your breathing passages, allows your body to reach an ideal sleeping temperature and eliminates pain that can keep you awake.
Where to Get Anointing Oils
JesusBoat.com offers a variety of anointing oils for sale, such as frankincense and myrrh. You can also choose from Ein Gedi, Prosperity Fertility Pomegranate, Prosperity Henna, King Solomon and many more. Click here to view anointing oils from the Holy Land.
We trust you will find our products to be of the highest quality. We pray that each item will be a blessing to all who buy, give and receive.